Friday, October 03, 2008

Dead in NS

NSF had left MC in cupboard
Today Online Friday • October 3, 2008

THE full-time National Serviceman who died on Tuesday morning never submitted the medical certificate he was given on Sunday to his camp’s medical centre.

In a statement issued yesterday afternoon, the Ministry of Defence (Mindef) said Private Joe Foo Wei Rong’s medical certificate has since been found in his personal cupboard next to his bunk.

The Singapore General Hospital medical certificate, dated Sept 28, was for “sprains and strains of knee and leg”, said Mindef.

“PTE Foo was to rest from Sept 28 to 29 and given only light duties from Sep 30 to Oct 3,” it added.

“The medical centre had no documentation of his medical certificate.”

PTE Foo, 20, had collapsed while doing chin-ups as part of a daily basic exercise routine, at 6.05am.

According to his father, in 2004, PTE Foo suffered a seizure at home.

When contacted yesterday, hours after the NSF was given a military funeral and cremated at Mandai Crematorium, his father, Mr Foo Heng Lye, said he had told his son to submit the medical certificate.

It is not known why he had not.

Mr Foo, however, questioned why it took almost two hours to move PTE Foo to a hospital. “Why were there only medics but no medical officers on 24-hour standby in the camp?” he asked.

Mindef said on Tuesday PTE Foo was given “immediate medical attention” and taken from Lim Chu Kang Camp to Tengah Medical Centre, which had a doctor on 24-hour standby, by 6.40am.

Doctors at Tengah tried to resuscitate him, and he was packed off to National University Hospital at 7.15am. En route, the Singapore Armed Forces doctor and medic continued to resuscitate him and he arrived at 7.45am. He was pronounced dead at 8.28am. Mindef is investigating.

It’s sad to know another young man has die while service his country.

I think somebody in his camp is going to be in deep shit now.

Thought Pte Foo death may not be directly linked to his MC which was for “sprains and strains of knee and leg”, but nevertheless he should be resting on the day he die.

Questions 1: Why Pte Foo did not endorse his MC with the Medical Center In his camp?

Ok endorsing MC is pure stupidity in the first place. If you get a MC from a outside Doctor, which more probably is more experience then those MO in the camp, you still have to come to the medical center in you 40 degree fever to let the MO see your MC and approved it.

In fact it is the Medic who does it most of the time, MO can never been seen. I am still amazed during my NS days when I reported sick, the MO can diagnose your sickness from 3 meters away.

This show that they automatically assume who ever is reporting sick is trying to skive.

Trying not to speculate, but I guess one of the reason why Pte Foo did not endorse his MC was maybe he does not want to be label as a “chao keng”.

So why he has this thought in the 1st place? While we do not know what was said to Pte Foo and companies since he was enlisted in his camp. Maybe someone threaten those who reported sick with confinement? The result of the investigation will be very interesting.

Questions 2: Why Pte Foo was given a Pes A status when he had a history of seizure?

This could be the main reason why he dies.

This shows that the screening process of recruits are note done properly. Or manybe your life is not worth the $1000 screening process.

No comments: