Monday, June 27, 2011

The never learn.

30 cops, dogs in 6-hour hunt for... parking offender
Mon, Jun 27, 2011

The offences he committed were only parking ones.

But when he failed to pay the fines and didn't turn up in court after several summonses were sent to him, a warrant of arrest was issued against him.

Lawyer Luke Lee said a court can issue an arrest warrant if the person fails to answer a summons and does not turn up in court.

When two Aetos auxiliary police officers went to his flat to arrest him on Thursday, the offender, known only as Nic, fled while being handcuffed.

That sparked off a six-hour manhunt around Hougang Street 51. Surrendered
More than 30 police officers, several sniffer dogs, five police cars and four red Special Operations Command riot vehicles were activated to search for the man, according to Shin Min Daily News.

He surrendered to the police that evening.

At 2.20pm on Thursday, two Aetos officers turned up at Nic's four-room flat.

As they were handcuffing him, Nic, 28, struggled violently, broke free and ran down the stairs, with the handcuffs dangling from one arm, reported Lianhe Wanbao.

The police were called in and they mounted an extensive search of the area lasting almost six hours.
Besides Hougang Street 51, the housing estates in Hougang Street 52, Avenue 5 and Avenue 8 were also searched.

The hunt covered carparks and a construction site, Shin Min Daily News reported.

Pictures of Nic were put up in public places, such as staircase landings and coffee shops.
Around 8pm the same day, Nic turned himself in at the Ang Mo Kio North Neighbourhood Police Centre.

Yesterday, The New Paper visited the neighbourhood. Madam Jessica Toh, a 45-year-old housewife who lives with her family two doors away from Nic, described his parents as "very friendly".

She said they would exchange greetings when they met each other. According to Madam Toh, the couple looked to be in their 50s. They have two other adult children - a son and a daughter.
She added: "They look educated. They also dress tidily and are well groomed."

Two floors down, a resident, who has been living at the block for more than 20 years, thought that a "murder case" was under investigation.

The resident, who declined to be named, said: "There were two or three police cars and a big group of both uniformed and plainclothes police officers. I knew something was not right."

He added: "They kept a low profile. I observed them for one to two hours but no body was carried out."

When The New Paper visited what is believed to be Nic's flat, the door and windows were shut and remained so despite repeated knocks.

There were potted plants and a rack full of shoes outside the flat. There were also poles with clothes hung out to dry.

Police said investigations are on.

For escaping from legal custody, the suspect faces up to two years in prison, or a fine, or both.

30 police officers, several sniffer dogs, five police cars and four red Special Operations Command riot vehicles cannot find a handcuffed man for 6 hours.

In the end he surrendered himself.

Think SPF did not learn much from Mas Selamat case.